Nearly 10 percent of students are English Language Learners, making the need for high quality language instruction in all classrooms essential. Language development is a complex process, and leading research indicates that language and content need to be developed simultaneously. English Language Learners must have access to grade-level curriculum concurrently with effective language instruction in order to achieve grade level proficiency.
myON supports English Language Learners by providing:
- A student-centered learning environment that includes a growing collection of over 13,000, standards-aligned authentic texts in English and Spanish for grades PK-12. More than 60 premier partner publishers collectively contribute thousands of culturally responsible, relevant texts to the collection of authentic literary works, ensuring learners of diverse backgrounds are able to see their culture, race and ethnicity represented within the content available.
- A personalized recommended reading engine for each learner based on individual Lexile® level, grade level and reading interests. The diverse and engaging content provides auditory models of correct syntax and grammar within the English language and unlimited access allows learners to have increased opportunities for building background knowledge, vocabulary and word acquisition skills.
- Embedded reading and writing scaffolds to support language development. Tools including: professionally recorded audio, one to one correspondence of text level highlighting, an embedded dictionary, annotation tools and graphic organizers provide opportunities for students to develop academic language skills while providing access to grade level content.
- Informative data metrics that measure student progress, including Lexile® and formative assessment options to guide educators in making data-driven decisions to inform and differentiate instruction.
Sample Workshop Session
Topic: Using myON to Support English Language Learners
- Identify available content to build background knowledge
- Examine best practices for incorporating language scaffolds and supports to access grade level content
- Curriculum planning aligned to standards
- Utilize available assessment and data management options
-Using Lexile® assessments for progress monitoring
-Designing formative assessments to guide instruction and meet the needs of ELL students
What customers say...
We see myON as one of those tools that help get kids involved designing and creating their own learning. The option in there to do projects makes it easy to create individualized learning for students.
About our solutions
All solutions include the most effective combination of award-winning content, measurement tools, professional services and other key components to support program goals identified by schools, districts and communities.
Every solution package includes a standard myON license, which provides unlimited access to thousands of enhanced digital titles from Capstone, with embedded Lexile® assessments and other metrics that provide real-time data on student activity and growth, literacy tools that foster the acquisition of close/active reading and writing skills, educator resources and video tutorials to support effective implementation strategies, and ongoing customer support services.
Partner Publisher Content: Over 60 respected partner publisher collections can be added to any standard myON subscription.
Targeted Professional Development: Onsite or virtual workshop sessions covering introductory through advanced topics are available to meet individual program needs.