Language development is a complex process, and leading research indicates that language and content need to be developed simultaneously. English Language Learners must have access to grade-level curriculum concurrently with effective language instruction in order to achieve grade level proficiency.
myON supports English Language Learners
- Our student-centered learning environment includes a growing core library of over 5,800 authentic texts (including Spanish and dual-language titles) for grades PK-12. Respected partner publishers collectively contribute thousands of additional culturally responsible titles, ensuring learners of diverse backgrounds are able to see their culture, race and ethnicity represented within the content available.
- A personalized recommended reading engine for each learner is based on individual Lexile® level, grade level and reading interests. The diverse and engaging content provides auditory models of correct syntax and grammar within the English language and unlimited access allows learners to have increased opportunities for building background knowledge, vocabulary and word acquisition skills.
- Embedded reading and writing scaffolds support language development. Tools including: professionally recorded audio, one-to-one correspondence of text level highlighting, an embedded dictionary, annotation tools and graphic organizers provide opportunities for students to develop academic language skills while providing access to grade level content.
- Informative data metrics measure student progress, including Lexile® and formative assessment options, and guide educators in making data-driven decisions to inform and differentiate instruction.
Sample workshop session
Topic: Using myON to Support English Language Learners
- Identify available content to build background knowledge
- Examine best practices for incorporating language scaffolds and supports to access grade level content
- Curriculum planning aligned to standards
- Utilize available assessment and data management options
-Using Lexile® assessments for progress monitoring
-Designing formative assessments to guide instruction and meet the needs of ELL students
About our focus areas
myON provides the most effective combination of award-winning content, measurement tools, professional services and other key components to support program goals identified by schools, districts and communities.
A standard myON license provides unlimited access to a digital library containing thousands of authentic titles from Capstone, with embedded Lexile® assessments and other metrics that provide real-time data on student activity and growth, literacy tools that foster the acquisition of close/active reading and writing skills, educator resources and video tutorials to support effective implementation strategies, and ongoing customer support services.
Partner Publisher Content — Premier collections from our respected Partner Publishers, containing thousands of additional titles for PreK-12, can be added to any myON library.
Renaissance myON News™, powered by News-O-Matic — Daily news articles written just for K-8 students, at three Lexile(R) levels, are presented in English, Spanish and French, with recorded audio and authentic multi-media resources.
Targeted Professional Development — Onsite or virtual workshop sessions covering introductory through advanced topics are available to meet individual program needs.